We all want to make the move to reduce the amount of single-use plastic we consume. We know it is bad for the environment, but it is absolutely everywhere in a modern-day world.
So how on earth do we start on the road to a plastic-free life?
To make the plastic-free switch a world easier, eco store biome.com.au has launched a plastic free starter kit – and we got the chance to test it out recently.
The aim of the kit is that all the items help you to replace single-use plastics with reusable alternatives. Removing any confusion, the kit gets you perfectly started on the road to living plastic free, without any fuss.
The plastic free starter kit includes:
- Glass KeepCup. I’m always on the road and always need a cup of tea alongside me, so a keepcup is a no-brainer. This one is a lovely glass cup with a silicone band to protect you from burns.
- 5-pack of Onya reusable produce bags. Made from 8 recycled plastic bottles, these produce bags come with a stuffable pouch to carry them in, and they even have a handy clip to attach to your shopping bags so you don’t forget them!
- 1 straight stainless steel straw. My kids love straws, so taking them off the table has been tricky. This is an absolute lifesaver now in our house.
- 1 x straw cleaner. Really important – see above!
- 1 x HoneyBee reusable beeswax food wrap in medium size. This has been really useful in packing lunchboxes for the kids, now I can happily wrap sandwiches without using plastic.
- That Red House soapberries. This was a new one to me. I didn’t even know you could get an alternative to laundry detergent! Add these amazing natural berries to the wash instead of your regular laundry liquid. They even provide a bag to place the berries in. Once finished, the berries can be added to the compost to break down naturally. This is enough to do 20 loads of washing. And yes, they did just as good a job as the Omo.
- 1 Bamboo toothbrush. A simple switch that you don’t even notice, but it’s a massive saving for the planet.
- 1 x organic cotton string bag. The perfect bag for going to the markets.
Biome are super proactive in helping to find the right plastic-free solution to suit your needs, and the site is packed with plenty of options and tips.
With just a few simple switches, I’m already feeling like I’ve made a really positive move in my day-to-day plastic usage.
Want to grab a kit of your own? We have 2 BIOME PLASTIC-FREE STARTER KITS to give away!
Just head to our Competitions page to go in the draw!