If you are looking for an easy, tasty, but healthy, mid-week dessert or snack for the kids, look no further than these superfood sticks of sweet goodness from Superfoods For Kids by Rena Patten.
- 500 g (16 oz) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 75 g (21⁄2 oz) coconut sugar
- 500 ml (16 fl oz) coconut water
- juice 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Place the blueberries, sugar and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for about 5–7 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Cool completely.
- Place the blueberries and their syrup into a blender or food processor with the lemon juice and puree until smooth. If you like your sorbet to have some texture, pulse blend for a short time only.
- Stir in the chia seeds and leave to stand for about 10 minutes, stirring the mixture with a fork 2–3 times during that time.
- Pour into individual icy pole molds with wooden sticks and freeze until set or, if you would like a sorbet, transfer the mixture to an ice-cream maker and prepare as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
NB. Depending on how tart the blueberries are, you may need to adjust the amount of sweetener used. Blueberries contain a very high amount of antioxidants. They can be substituted with cherries or mixed berries if you prefer.
What’s your favourite sweet (yet healthy) go-to weekly snack?
For more healthy superfood recipes for kids from Rena Patten, check out her easy Baked Potatoes with Mexican Beef and her Super Sliders with Homemade Tomato Dipping Sauce. YUM!