As many would agree, being a parent can be one of the most rewarding experiences in life. Despite that, we all have moments where we need to put the oxygen mask on ourselves first and get some support. Parents are crucial members of a family unit, and one of the best signs that we aren’t travelling well is when our children aren’t doing well. So, during challenging times, it’s important to reach out for support in a space that you feel heard and understood, to assist the exploration of new ways of thinking about problems and to help you come up with strategies and solutions that may improve the situation.
When parenting concerns arise, access to evidence-based information and support can be critical to positive family outcomes. And this is where Parentline can help. They provide free, non-judgmental, professional, confidential counselling, guidance and support to parents across Queensland and the Northern Territory, primarily through virtual modalities. Parentline supports parents experiencing dysregulation and overwhelming feelings of stress, to build strong healthy relationships with their children and enhance family safety and wellbeing.
Some common concerns that Parentline responds to include: challenging behaviours, parent/child relationships, relationships with families and partners, as well as child shared care/blended family issues and mental and emotional wellbeing.
By seeking support from a trained professional at Parentline, they can support you to obtain a better understanding of the way your family works by collaboratively exploring your past and present circumstances, concerns and emotional responses. By gaining a better understanding on how your family functions, they can assist you to identify strategies that are informed by your own skills and strengths to find solutions that suits your family’s needs.
Calling Parentline is a reminder that you are not alone and support is always available. Their qualified and professional counsellors are available to:
- Discuss any issues that impact your parenting and relationship with your child
- Offer a non-judgmental conversation that is confidential and safe
- Listen and work with you to provide support and guidance
- Promote and contribute to resilience and wellbeing of your family
- Assist you with developing strategies for positive parenting and personal coping
- Link you and your family with local community resources and services.
Parentline can work with you to strengthen parents and families by helping parents to:
- self-regulate and deal with feelings of overwhelm
- develop insight into themselves and their child’s needs
- focus on connection within the family
- acquire skills that support their role as parents
- refocus and strengthen family relationships
- connect with appropriate services in their local community to address ongoing needs.
So please remember, when things become challenging, it’s important to know that you can always talk to someone about what’s going on. If you are a parent, carer or family member living in Queensland or the Northern Territory, you can call Parentline on 1300 30 1300 from 8am – 10pm seven days a week, for the cost of a local phone call Or WebChat/email www.parentline.com.au.
By Kimberley Harper, Parentline