Stuck for things to keep the kids occupied (and cool!) this summer? Sunshine Coast Libraries has your school holidays covered, with a huge range of fun and free activities for kids.
At Home Free Activities Packs
The clever elves at Sunshine Coast Libraries have put together a bunch of At Home Holiday Packs, for bucket-loads of kid-centred fun throughout the summer. Register for a free activities pack online, and you can collect it from your local branch from Monday 4 January.
- Teddy Bears picnic: Go on a teddy bear’s picnic and create your own puppet show with fun resources. Ages 3–5 years.
- Castle build: Build and decorate your own cardboard castle. Ages 4–12 years.
- Imaginators: Get creative and build different things with shaped wooden pieces. Ages 6–12 years.
- Robot Mouse: Learn the fundamentals of coding using these cute robots. Ages 6+
- iPad covers: Decorate your very own iPad cover. Ages 13+
- All programs have been designed and materials provided for specific age groups to correspond with their motor and literacy skills and developmental age. Bookings are essential for all.
Get lost in stories, folk tales and legends and experience the magic of the Summer Reading Club this summer with the Summer Reading Club.
Join in the fun with two different age categories:
- Parents and toddlers 0–5 years
- Children and Young Adults 6–18years
The challenge kicks off Tuesday 1 December and it’s really easy to take part!
- Join the library if you aren’t already a member. You can Join online here.
- Register and make an account on Beanstack or sign in using your existing account details.
- Register for the Summer Reading Challenge in your age group.
- Get reading!
- Complete activities and reading logs for a chance to win great prize packs.
Go on a Story Walk
Sunshine Coast Libraries and Maroochy Bushland Botanic Gardens have joined forces for the third year to promote the First 5 Forever early literacy initiative with a Story Walk.
A Story Walk is an innovative way to experience a children’s picture book. The pages of a picture book are enlarged and segmentally spread throughout the Botanic Gardens. Children and their families move through the bushland from one page to another to read the book. Enjoy a gentle story whilst walking through nature!
The Story Walk features All the ways to be smart written by Davina Bell and illustrated by Allison Colpoys.
The Story Walk is open from 7.00am – 5.00pm and can be found at: Maroochy Bushland Botanic Gardens, Palm Creek Road, Tanawha.
It begins on December 12 2020 and will finish January 26 2021.
Cool down at the Library
Need to escape the heat and enjoy the air-con? Head into your local library and see if you complete the Scavenger hunt there. Simply chat to library staff when you arrive and they can get you started.
For a full list of what’s on at Sunshine Coast Libraries this summer, head to: https://library.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/Whats-On