Following on from our popular feature on how to ask your KIDS how their school day was, here’s how to get more than a monosyllabic grunt from your TEEN …
‘How was school today?’
Sigh. Sound familiar?
It’s often hard to get anything more than a monosyllabic answer out of your teenager, especially when it comes to opening up about how their day was at school.
Communication with teenage kids is almost an art form. But when you do get real dialogue, it is ALWAYS worth the effort and you never know, you might learn something new! Hopefully these points will help start that conversation!
25 questions to ask your teen
- Where in school do you hang out the most (a particular classroom, playground, etc.)? Or, where in the school do you never hang out, and why?
- What would your school be better with? What would your school be better without?
- If you were a teacher what class would you teach? What class would be the worst to teach? Why?
- What was the coolest (saddest, funniest, scariest) thing that you saw today?
- What was one thing that you learned today?
- If your day at school today was a movie, what movie would it be?
- If your day at school was an emoticon which one would it be?
- Who do you think you could be nicer to?
- What is your easiest subject? What is your hardest subject?
- If they played music through the loudspeaker at school what would you want them to play?
- If you could read minds what teachers mind would you read? What classmates mind would you read? Whose mind would you NOT want to read?
- If today had a theme song what would it be?
- Which class has your favourite group of students in it? Which class has the worst group of students?
- What do you think you should do more of at school? What do you think you should do less of?
- What are the top 3 things that you hear people say in the playground?
- What do you think the most important part of school is?
- Tell me one question that you had today that wasn’t answered…
- What class has the cutest boys/girls in it?
- What do you think your teachers talked about in the staff room today after school?
- Who did you help today? Who helped you today?
- If you could be invisible for the day at school what would you do?
- What part of the day do you look forward to? What part of the day do you dread?
- What would you change about school lunch?
- What classmate is most likely to be made president, become a millionaire, etc.?
- If you had to go to only one class every day which class would it be?
Try them out, we’d love to hear of any successes!