Finding dinner that the whole family will love is always a challenge. With plenty of options to add or remove, dependent on fussiness levels, these kid-friendly chicken burgers are a lovely combination of simple glazed chicken shredded with forks and served on top of crunchy coleslaw in a brioche bun.
Makes 4 chicken burgers
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 4 small brioche buns
- salt and pepper
- soft lettuce leaves and sliced
- tomato, to serve
- 1 tsp soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 100g/3.oz red cabbage,
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 apple, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Put the chicken breasts on the baking sheet and season lightly with salt and pepper. Combine the glaze ingredients and spread the glaze over the top of the breasts.
- Bake them in the oven for 18–20 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly on the tray, then pull apart the breasts using forks and shred the meat.
- Mix all of the coleslaw ingredients together in a bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Slice a brioche bun in half. Put a lettuce leaf on the bottom half with a slice of tomato, then some coleslaw, followed by some pulled chicken.
- Cover with the other half of the bun, fill the remaining brioche buns and serve with sweet potato wedges.
Recipe extract from Real Food Kids Will Love, by Annabel Karmel