These delicious shortbread biscuits are filled with jam and make the perfect Christmas treat. You could make these biscuits and give them as gifts (teachers and child care educators will probably love you), or you could keep them all for yourself and have them with a cuppa. They are so good!
I used strawberry and apricot jams for this recipe, but feel free to substitute if neither of those are to your taste. This is an easy recipe to make with the kids.
Prep time 20 minutes
Cooking time 12-15 minutes
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour or corn flour
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- Extra icing sugar, for dusting
- Place butter, icing sugar and vanilla into an electric beater and beat until light and fluffy. Stir flour and rice flour into butter mixture until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Half dough and form each piece into a round disc. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 25 minutes or until firm. Roll 1 disc of dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 4mm thick. Using a 7cm round fluted biscuit cutter, cut 12 biscuits from dough and place onto a baking tray.
- Repeat with remaining dough, this time cutting a small circle (or other shape) with a cutter from the centre of each biscuit. Place on remaining tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until firm to the touch and cooked through. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.
- Place the whole biscuits onto a flat surface. Spoon 2 teaspoons of jam onto each biscuit, spreading almost to the edge of biscuit. Dust icing sugar over remaining biscuits with circle cut out. Place circle biscuits over jam biscuits. Serve.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
No nutritional information available for this recipe.