If you are looking for that perfect Christmas recipe to take to your Christmas party or school event or to serve on the big day, this Pesto Christmas Tree recipe is a proven hit. The kids can help prepare and cook, and they will certainly love to eat! It’s one of our favourite Christmas recipes each year.
- 2 Sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 cup green pesto
- 2 cups cheddar cheese of choice, grated
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 egg, whisked
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Lay one sheet of puff pastry on the baking tray and then spread generously with the pesto, smooth out with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Top with the other sheet of puff pastry.
- Use a sharp knife to cut out the Christmas tree shape.
- Then use the knife to make slices 1cm apart along the sides of the ‘Tree’ stopping 1 cm from the centre.
- Carefully twist the segments of pastry.
- Add the cherry tomatoes halves to the tree decoratively.
- Brush the pastry with the egg lightly.
- Bake in the oven for 15 – 25 mins, depending on oven, until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool a little on a wire rack.
Great job for toddlers and kids in this Christmas recipe
- Get your kids to spread on the pesto.
- Assign the task of chief cheese person and they can grate and sprinkle the cheddar and parmesan.
- Official tree twisters! Get the kids twisting the pastry to form the tree – it’s a slightly messy step, but just remember looks aren’t nearly as important as taste, and they will have FUN!
Serving Tip: Decorate on a large tray with more Xmas scenery food around it for an amazing festive plate!
Recipe by the talented mind of Italian-born Australian award-winning designer Sharon Hunter, the mind behind the genius Emondo Kids eco-dinnerware range that has set Instagram alight with artistic toddler mealtimes and pictures that look too beautiful to eat!
You may also like…