Simple Gingerbread Men Recipe
Gingerbread Men are a Christmas baking favourite. This recipe is deeelish and super easy for little ones to make.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
No. of serves: 20 standard biscuits
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 125g butter, room temperature
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg, separated
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl.
- Add the egg yolk and golden syrup and beat until combined.
- Stir through the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda.
- Once the dough comes together, turn out onto a floured surface and kneed until smooth.
- Cover in plastic wrap and place in fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll dough out to approximately 5mm thick.
- Cut into shapes and place on lined tray.
- Repeat rolling and cutting until all the dough is used.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Beat the egg white until soft white peaks form.
- Gradually add icing sugar and beat until icing has stiff peaks.
- Spoon icing into a small ziplock or freezer bag. Twist top closed and push the icing into one corner.
- Cut a small hole in the corner and pipe icing over the gingerbread men.
- Decorate with Smarties.
If you are concerned about using raw egg white in the icing, you can purchase egg-free royal icing mix from most major supermarkets or baking supply shops. Or simply substitute the egg white with an egg replacer.